[Samba] linux-schools samba ubuntu packages: it is just awful

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 15 11:26:18 UTC 2022

15.11.2022 14:11, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via samba wrote:
> Hello mjt, Hello Samba,
>
> we used their samba 4.16 packages on an ubuntu system (no debian
> backports :( ) and the ad auth "just broke". Debugging it revealed that
> the .so file is missing from the libpam-winbind packages.

They have *all* packages empty. I already gave example with libsmbclient, --
*all* of their packages are empty.  They created a new package named 'samba4'
with everything in there.

https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/linux-schools/samba-latest/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/

See -- all .debs are about 4k in size - this is just the metadata.
The only real packages are samba4_*.deb.  But these don't contain
anything besides samba itself.

But they also removed all integration done.  pam stuff, nss stuff, everything.
Take a look at their samba*.debian.tar.xz: their debian/ dir is about 50K in
size.  While real Debian Samba package has about 2M in there not counting
patches.  They just stripped off everything, all integration done..

/mjt