[Samba] Adding a Samba shared printer fails - Windows 11 22H2

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 20:22:58 UTC 2022

> In my testing, Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 function as expected. What did MS do in Windows 11 22H2?

They've really mullered it! I've been getting loads of weird printer issues since the new Windows updates, including the ones you describe, and after ages of Googling all the different error codes Windows was throwing up, the easiest and quickest solution was to just re-deploy Windows to the affected machine. My Windows image has the printers attached to the new print server already and all the drivers installed.

> Any hints on how I should proceed?

Interesting things I've learnt from the error message Googling is that 22H2 has a new authenticated RPC:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/managing-deployment-of-printer-rpc-binding-changes-for-cve-2021-1678-kb4599464-12a69652-30b9-3d61-d9f7-7201623a8b25

There is an option to enable 'rpc named pipes', but my GPO's didn't have the option listed for me to try:
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/11/02/windows-11-22h2-network-printing-switched-to-rcp-over-tcp/

And that the official MS guidance in light of their 'printnightmare' is to install the printers into your Windows deployment image(!)

Good luck - let me know how you get on..

Tim