[Samba] Upgrade a self-compiled DC to a repository version

Carlos Jesus camjesus2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:51:51 UTC 2022

Hi all,
I think I've seen this addressed on the mailing list before, but I can't
seem to find it so, any help will be appreciated.

I have 2 DC's Debian Buster based with Samba-ad-dc self compiled to version
4.13.12. One is a physical machine the other is a VM on different hardware.
At that time (samba 4.4) self compiling seemed like a good idea, but now
I'd like to move to a repository based version (it seems Van Bell's repo is
not an option anymore, hope he's doing well). Buster backport it is then.
The plan is to move to 4.14, then 4.15 then 4.16 on a weekly plan to check
all is well.

The question is, how to do it?
* Just adding backports to sources.list and apt update/ apt install samba
is most probably not an option.
* Running a full
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
is probably the safer path.
* Just keep self compiling stuff if nothing else works.

Any clues/references?

Best regards,
Carlos