[Samba] Backup Strategies

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 7 21:12:20 UTC 2022

On 07/11/2022 20:48, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
> I am working on a disaster recovery setup.  We have 2 identical servers,
> both running proxmox.
> Server 1:
>      ADDC
>      File Server
>      Database
>      Web Server...
> Server 2: Runs the same VMs but sits at a remote location
> Our current backup does a nightly image of each of the VMs to a local NAS
> This image can be used to quickly restore the primary server if needed.
> Once a week, this image is also copied slowly to the remote location
> (rate and time limited) and takes about 3 days.

Provided that you are only using the DC's for authentication and
replication is working, you only need to backup the domain using
'samba-tool domain backup' , this comes in two versions 'offline' and
'online'. If a disaster was to happen, the backup could be used to
recover your domain. I cannot recommend any other method, otherwise you
could end up with zombie accounts and the loss of recently created users
and groups etc if the backups are old.

Unix domain members only require the data to be backed up along with the
smb.conf, given these the domain member can easily be rebuilt and
rejoined to the domain.

Rowland