[Samba] Missing shares in 4.16

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 4 13:49:10 UTC 2022

On 04/11/2022 13:16, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via samba wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> I want to emphasize we dont use the "nearby computers" or anything. We
> just use the MacOs Finder connect to the server and it spits out the
> shares that we can connect to.
>
> There these shares are missing sadly. (I thought thats the same als
> smbclient -L ?)
>
> Output of smbclient -L, the share1 is visible (without "reconnecting
> with smb1) but the home share is missing:
>

>       Sharename       Type      Comment
>       ---------       ----      -------
>       Share1 Disk
>       IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.16.6-Debian)
> Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
>
>       Server               Comment
>       ---------            -------
>       FILESERVER-GLB       Samba 4.16.6-Debian
>
>       Workgroup            Master
>       ---------            -------
>       AD-ELLERHOLD         FILESERVER-GLB
>
> Is there any way to announce uesr-specific shares via avahi? I thought
> avahi is only for the visibility of the whole server and not single
> shares. Even then - it has to be user specific!

You were discussing browsing and that is what Linux is using for
browsing (note it is called Bonjour on MACs)

Another of your problems is that Samba doesn't seem to like spaces in
share names

One way around your problem would to use the '[homes]' share, and set
the unixHomeDirectory attribute in each users AD object to contain
'/storage/homes/surname.name', Samba should pick this up and use it.

Rowland