[Samba] Updates wanting to uninstall Samba on member server

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Nov 3 20:31:36 UTC 2022

03.11.2022 22:57, Ingo Asche via samba wrote:
> Message from "apt list --upgradable":
> Listing... Done
> libtalloc2/bullseye-backports 2.3.4-2~bpo11+1 arm64 [upgradable from: 2.3.3-4~bpo11+1]
> libtdb1/bullseye-backports 1.4.7-2~bpo11+1 arm64 [upgradable from: 1.4.6-3~bpo11+1]
>
> Message from "apt full-upgrade":
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    libnss-winbind libpam-winbind python3-samba python3-talloc python3-tdb samba
>    samba-common-bin winbind
>    libtalloc2 libtdb1

So it lists libtalloc2 as upgradable, but not python3-talloc. Both are produced
from the same source package, and python3-talloc depends on the exact same version
of libtalloc2. Since python3-talloc isn't available (not listed) for some reason,
trying to force-upgrade libtalloc2 invalidates python3-talloc dependencies, and
apt suggests to force-remove it.

I don't know how exactly the bpo archives are built.  The two packages should either
be both new or both old, but not like you're seeing it.

Maybe you hit exact timing when the bpo archive were regenerating and it only indexed
some stuff but not the others? At least I don't know other possibility here.  It
should fix itself after another apt update.

/mjt