[Samba] non-wide symbolic links broken?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 1 14:59:00 UTC 2022

31.10.2022 19:32, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 03:20:01PM +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> For quite some time, it looks like I have to always enable "wide links"
>> if I do use symlinks *anywhere* within any share. The problem is that
>> symlinks which points to a different directory, even within this same
>> share, does not work and are entirely ignored by samba as like it were
>> listed in "veto files".
>>
>> ln -s subdir/file link
>>
>> even if subdir is clearly a part of this same share and subdir/file is
>> also within the share, this link doesn't work.
>>
>> After enabling "wide links" it starts to work but that one does have
>> its own "fun features".
>>
>> Is it intentional, or is 'follow links' parabeter has become useless?
>
> We have tests for this, which we're (obviously) passing.
>
> Can you be explicit, with version and a reproducible problem ?

Thank you for the answer Jeremy!

Unfortunately I was too quick yesterday.  It turned out I was completely
wrong. In the context where I tested this (manually), the symlink target
which I tried, had an executable bit set, which was mapped by samba as
hidden attribute. So neither this file nor any symlinks to it were just
not shown by windows by default!  I haven't realized this +x thing at
that time. It's a shame on me really - b/c this is so damn simple and
so stupid.

So I stand corrected: current samba versions does the right thing with
symlinks, at least I haven't found a case where it is not the case.

Please excuse me for the noise.

Thank you for the attention!

/mjt