[Samba] Unable to mount with cifs.mount, but file browser mount...

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Thu May 26 21:21:07 UTC 2022

I think your hitting a bug here and I think David has a point on the kernel.

I have a wheezy mounted with cifs to latest windows, but I must say,
I recompiled a buster kernel (4.19) for it and a 4.6.16 samba to make it work.

Try set in the stretch server smb2 as minimal protocol, but I think you already tried that and add the real after the loginname.
mount.cifs //VDMSV1.AD.FVG.LNF.IT/Users/gaio /mnt --verbose -o username=gaio at AD.FVG.LNF.IT

The version differences might hit old bugs in kerberos also
The idea on that is this part.
Password for gaio@//VDMSV1.AD.FVG.LNF.IT/Users/gaio

note the @ here..

If that doesn’t work try these options on the mount.
 noserverino,vers=3.0 and/or 2.0

if these options don’t work, then you need a better kernel, the samba versions should be good enough.
my wheezy uses cifs-utils 2:5.5-1, check that also.

On the automount, where my nfs version worked great, my cifs version is currently read only.
but it does automount, not fixed yet, since I only needed ready only in this case and was in rush.
There is a post on the list that works with autofs, if you found it again.. cc me.. 😉
I searched but couldn’t find it that quickly so that’s why I run read only.

Hope this helps and give you few ideas but best one is, upgrade stretch to buster at least.
It does help a lot..

Greetz,

Louis