[Samba] Samba Config from LDAP / with CTDB

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 16 07:32:10 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 11:18 +0200, Tobias Hachmer via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 4/13/22 um 12:15 schrieb Tobias Hachmer via samba:
> > >
> > > the LDAP passdb backend has pretty much fallen out of favor and
> > > only
> > > very few are still using this kind of setup. Therefor I highly
> > > recommend looking into joining the fileservers to AD, possibly
> > > Samba 4
> > > AD with password replication to an LDAP server.
>
> What are the reasons not to use LDAP passdb backend on a standalone
> server?

Running Samba as a standalone server using LDAP as the passdb backend
is one step away from running an NT4-style PDC and that requires SMBv1.
Samba is working hard to remove SMBv1 and it is deprecated and turned
off by default.

> As mentioned before we want to avoid setting up a fully samba 4 AD
> just
> for file service purpose. We have up and running a OpenLDAP
> Infrastructure since years.

You may have been running Openldap for years, but you may not have
needed to. Most, if not all, of the connecting programs can use AD
instead. What do you use Openldap for ?

Rowland