[Samba] What is the Uid in smbstatus command?

Jim Brand JHBRAND at up.com
Wed May 11 15:11:49 UTC 2022

There is a problem with your uid, in your smb.conf you posted this:

You are saying that your uid (or ID) is '3578', but :

3578 != 7880

So where is it coming from ????

3578 is UID from AD and local on the box.   Our organization requires local userids on all servers(!)  The only time we join AD on Linux is for Samba.

Since our Samba files normally match UID/GID in /etc/passwd, not RID + Offset I assume ' backend = rid' has never worked properly.  Since we want UIDs to match /etc/passwd I'm going to try again to get Samba working with ad backend.

Or we can stick with
    security = DOMAIN
which gives us the desired behavior.   Only problem is when servers reboot we have to rejoin the domain.   Security = ADS solved that.

Thanks,
Jim

This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any use, review, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance by others, and any forwarding of this email or its contents, without the express permission of the sender is strictly prohibited by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, delete the e-mail and destroy all copies.