[Samba] What is the Uid in smbstatus command?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 11 13:53:00 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 13:16 +0000, Jim Brand wrote:
> You should remove 'winbind' from the shadow line, it isn't required
> and can do strange things.
> I removed winbind from the shadow line.
>
> You are using the 'rid' idmap backend and this calculates the Unix ID
> from the RID along with the low range set in smb.conf (in your case
> '1000'), but any that end up higher than the high range (in your case
> '2999999') will be ignored, could this be your problem ?
>
> I don't think so.   wbinfo -n shows RID = 6880, my uid = 3578 which
> should be in range.

There is a problem with your uid, in your smb.conf you posted this:

idmap config MYGROUP : backend = rid
idmap config MYGROUP : range = 1000-2999999

The 'rid' idmap backend calculates the ID from the RID + the low range
set in smb.conf with this formula:

ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

So, in your case:

ID = 6880 + 1000

ID = 7880

You are saying that your uid (or ID) is '3578', but :

3578 != 7880

So where is it coming from ????

> For reference 'smbstatus' on all servers, working or not, CentOS 6 or
> 7 shows correct user in the
> "PID     Username      Group         Machine"
>
> section, but under
> "Locked files:"
> always shows a number that doesn't seem to correlate to
> anything.   Is that correct behavior?
>
> Dumb question:  Using 'rid' idmap backend, should files be created
> with the user's UID that is in AD, or RID + offset?

See above, but the UID should be mapped to the users name.

>    I would rather use ad backend but I've never gotten that to work
> reliably except in CentOS 7.

It has worked reliably for myself since 2012, you just have to
understand that users must have a uidnumber attribute, groups must have
a gidNumber attribute and all of these attributes must contain numbers
inside the 'DOMAIN' range you set in smb.conf

Rowland