[Samba] Problem with Samba 3 with Samba 4 AD-DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 6 19:48:15 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 16:13 -0300, Joní Kremer via samba wrote:
>  Yes...
> I want to integrate my samba server 4.7.6 with my samba server
> 4.x.x.x
> AD-DC...This server is a Domain Controller...
> How do I do this?

If you want your 'fileserver' to be integrated into AD, then you need
to join it to the domain, I suggest you start by reading these:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_autorid

> For example my samba users...which are few are all...on the Samba
> server
> 4.7.6 All?
> In samba 4.x.x.x AD-DC has nothing!! It's all on the other server.
> How
> could I do this?

This is where it gets a bit complex, your users on the 'fileserver'
(who undoubtedly have data stored on it) will have Unix ID's.
If you use the 'autorid' or 'rid' idmap backends, then your users will
get new Unix ID's. You are going to have to remove the users from the
'fileserver' anyway, so you could create the users in AD with the
existing ID's as uidNumber attributes (same goes for groups, but with
gidNumber attributes) and then using the 'ad' idmap backend.

> I have about 40 Windows machines that normally access samba 4.7.6
> shares
> Did you understand my scenario?

Yes, but I would suggest you upgrade your OS and Samba, you can get a
very recent Samba version here: https://apt.van-belle.nl/

> I want my samba 4.x.x.x AD-DC to have control of the samba 4.7.6
> server..
> Like a domain member controller maybe..

You appear to be conflating two machines into one, There are Samba AD
DC's and Samba Unix domain members. You seem to have the DC, you just
need to upgrade your (apparently) standalone server to a Unix domain
member

I suggest you post the smb.conf from your Samba AD DC and the existing
'fileserver'.

Rowland