[Samba] declaring Bind9 DNS servers as slaves when using Samba AD/DC with BIND9_DLZ

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 4 22:23:35 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-05-04 at 12:26 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Small tip on this one.
> Yes, below what Rowland suggest works fine, I use(d) it also.
> Only you might have/see delays in updateing the slave zones.

This is the big issue with slave zones in Samba.  Because of the way
the updates are handled, there is no proactive notification of changes
(the notifies a normal DNS server might send), the slave has to poll.

I don't recommend slaves for this reason, but as always the needs of
each network vary.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions