[Samba] SMB1 on samba 4.16 or samba 4.15 and previous versions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 2 12:55:37 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-05-02 at 14:43 +0200, Trenta sis via samba wrote:
> Thanks Rowland for the information, I understand that actual SMB1 is
> the same code that has 4.15 and 4.16
>
> correct, we have some old application that needs SMB1...
>
> I am a little confused about this "then I suggest you sandbox it
> somehow." can you give detail about this?

Fairly easy, do not connect the SMBv1 machines to the internet and if
you need to transfer data to/from them, then use a USB drive or
similar. If you are using programs that must connect to the network
using SMBv1, then I suggest you contact whomever wrote that program and
ask for an update, they are going to have to upgrade their program,
either that or go out of business.

Rowland