[Samba] Remove all Windows ACL's from files/folders

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Mar 29 08:24:25 UTC 2022

On 3/28/22 22:36, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> So my plan is to transfer the data to the new server and then run a
> script that recurses through the filesystem, changing user and group
> ownership. I think the basic unix permissions are respected (sort of),
> but this means I can't attempt to use POSIX ACLs to simplify their
> permissions setup, because these won't be recognized on Windows, where
> they do a lot of their work.  Having a command to set Windows ACLs from
> POSIX ACLs would be handy in this case.

iirc Björn is working on such a feature for samba-tool.

But it also looks like Jeremy and you talk past each other.

We *do* store a hash of the underyling permissions, including POSIX ACL,
in our xattr. We *do* check whether the underyling permissions have
changed by hasing the current permissions and comparing against the
stored hash. We *do* discard the stored NT ACL in case both don't match
and go back to building a new NT ACL based on the underlying permissions.

Does that clarify things? Or evantually I missed something in the
discussion that I didn't follow closely from the start, just chiming in. :)

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba