[Samba] Remove all Windows ACL's from files/folders

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Mar 29 03:44:10 UTC 2022

>>> Yes dammit :-). I keep mixing up the confusing namespaces
>>> on Linux, sorry :-).
>>> It's used as a "pristine" store of the ACL the client sent.
>>> If the underlying native (usually POSIX) ACL is changed outside
>>> of smbd then it is removed as it no longer represents reality.

>> That's new information I didn't know.
>> So, simply doing a chmod/chown in Linux would be enough to fully reset/remove all Samba (Windows set) ACL's on a file or directory, right?

> Yes. We store a hash of the existing mapping from

>> POSIX ACL i.e. perms also. If you
> change the POSIX ACL or perms outside of smbd the
> hash no longer matches so we can't trust it.

Hmmm...

I've done this (set posix perms) and the Samba permissions don't get reset.
(And seemingly some odd stuff on top of this, so I'll try to cover what I've found, though some of the odd behavior is making testing and nailing down exactly which change provokes what behavior has been quite difficult.)

For example.
I've got a share...
"Shared-files"
Here's the smb.conf def for that share.

[shared-files]
comment = shared-files
path = /abc-zfs-01/ad-shared-folders/shared-files/
browseable = yes
writable = yes
vfs objects = acl_xattr
map acl inherit = yes
acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
---

I "prep" that shared directory like this:
---
cd /abc-zfs-01/ad-shared-folders/shared-files/
setfacl --recursive --remove-all  ./
chown -R root:"AD\Domain Admins" ./
chmod -R 2775 ./
---
1) First oddity. If I have "acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes" removed/commented out then I can't set ANY permissions on that share (from Windows), even logged in as administrator.
[R Penney noted something that seemed similar, but it seemed the problem he was talking about was trying to set permissions with someone who was just "Domain Admins" equivalent, but that it worked as Administrator itself. This isn't consistent with what I'm finding. In this case, even Administrator can't do it.]

If I put it back in (acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes), then I can edit the default permissions. (again from Windows)

This really seems like a bug. But I don't know.

---
So, I then wanted to test things again, to see if I'd really done things the way I thought.
So, I try to "reset" the Windows ACL's by...
---
cd /abc-zfs-01/ad-shared-folders/shared-files/
setfacl --recursive --remove-all  ./
chown -R root:"AD\Domain Admins" ./
chmod -R 2775 ./
---
Then open the Windows file explorer again, and look at the permissions in the "advanced" tab.

2) Second oddity; they're set the way I left them last. (Not with the normal default set of permissions*)

Try a smbd reload, still the same.

Perhaps there's some Windows client side permissions cache - so logout of Windows and log back in. (And even a reboot.)
Still the same.

I guess I'm not more confused or lost than I was before. But since I was completely lost before, I don't consider this a win. :)
I hope that someone has some suggestions - because none of this works the way I thought I knew and how I've done it before.

---
* - The "default" permissions (when set with the setfacl/chown/chmod like above) appear to be;
root: full control / this folder only
domain admins: full control / this folder only
everyone: read.execute / this and sub folders/files
creator owner: full control / subfolders,files only
creator group: read.execute / subfolders,files only

I should note some basic info.
Samba 4.15.5, IIRC.
On Ubuntu 20.04.
Kerberos and DNS work fine.
The station I'm making permissions changes from is a domain joined PC, running Windows 10, and logged in as administrator on the domain.