[Samba] Computer host name vs. AD host name

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 28 21:57:51 UTC 2022

Because of AD's per domain flat name space, we have a AD computer naming
convention which kind of mirrors the OU hierarchy, so a college of
natural sciencs machine in the Harris Lab would be called something like
cns-khl-files.  I've run into all kinds of undocumented issues when a
windows computer name goes over 15 characters, so that's a secondary
constraint.

Those hyphenated names are a pain for the linux users to remember, so
what I've been doing is assigning a user friendly local hostname and
creating a different name for AD. With sssd you can then set a value in
/etc/sssd/sssd.conf:

   ad_hostname = cns-khl-files

and then the name defined in /etc/hostname can be anything you like. I'm
guessing there's no way to do this with Samba, and I'm just going to
have to reset the local hostname to match what AD expects to see?