[Samba] stand-alone server with ldap-auth without AD

Angel Bosch Mora abosch at imasmallorca.net
Mon Mar 28 11:29:04 UTC 2022

> I should make very clear, we will gladly consider all patches, that
> come with the appropriate tests and documentation, but we don't
> really
> have a 'roadmap' that others can add things too like this.
>
> Samba is driven by its developers and those who fund its developers
> (our incredibly supportive employers and their customers).
>
> So please don't feel that these things 'fell off' our roadmap - that
> isn't really how we work.

Sorry if I sounded rude, that wasn't my intention at all.
I can code a little bit but I'm by no means a developer and I have a lot of respect for all the work you do.

My comment about roadmap was refering to this info on Samba Wiki:
"The Samba team decided not to peruse this as a development avenue, and no viable approach to re-opening this functionality has been proposed."

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ#Do_Samba_AD_DCs_Support_OpenLDAP_or_Other_LDAP_Servers_as_the_Back_End.3F

I understand that AD break standard schemas so LDAPv3 can't be used as backend. I'm just surprised that with so many people asking for some kind of LDAP attribute synchronization there's no work being done internally.
But you're totally right, I don't know how do you work of prioritize issues.
I just hope some company/institution decides to patron and fund this feature (Uninvention?).

With all that said, I'm totally ok sharing my solutions, so anyone that wants to maintain a standard LDAP in parallel to samba can contact me and I will happily give a hand.

Best regards,

abosch

-- Institut Mallorqui d'Afers Socials. Aquest missatge, i si escau, qualsevol fitxer annex, es dirigeix exclusivament a la persona que n'es destinataria i pot contenir informacio confidencial. En cap cas no heu de copiar aquest missatge ni lliurar-lo a terceres persones sense permis expres de l'IMAS. Si no sou la persona destinataria que s'hi indica (o la responsable de lliurar-l'hi) us demanam que ho notifiqueu immediatament a l'adreca electronica de la persona remitent. Abans d'imprimir aquest missatge, pensau si es realment necessari.