[Samba] stand-alone server with ldap-auth without AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 28 00:15:06 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-03-25 at 10:45 +0100, Angel Bosch Mora via samba wrote:

> we use some custom scripts and a SSO to keep everything in sync, but
> if you manually change it on samba there's no way for LDAP to know
> it, and the same for the other way around.
>
> UNLESS you centralize password change and propagate it to all
> systems. that's the job of a SSO/Identity Manager and is not trivial.
>

> I'd really love to see some work done on the Samba side, as it's a
> pretty common request, but it seems that feature falls off the
> roadmap as Samba 4 is not trying to emulate AD but efectively become
> AD.

I should make very clear, we will gladly consider all patches, that
come with the appropriate tests and documentation, but we don't really
have a 'roadmap' that others can add things too like this.

Samba is driven by its developers and those who fund its developers
(our incredibly supportive employers and their customers).

So please don't feel that these things 'fell off' our roadmap - that
isn't really how we work.

We do sometimes talk about the directions we want to take the project,
and we should do that more, but the actual work takes engineer effort.

Contributions remain welcome:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions