[Samba] Demoting AD DC failed, now it won't start up after ldb and tdb files removed

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 27 23:59:14 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2022-03-26 at 17:11 +0000, Krzysztof Kucybała via samba wrote:

> Could anyone suggest how do I get myself out of this mess that I had
> put myself into? 😊 I have another DC that seems to be running fine
> at the moment, I was hoping the one I was trying to clean up would
> just replicate itself off it again, but that doesn’t seem to be the
> case currently…. Any help will be very appreciated 😊
>
> Cheers,

You need to re-join the domain, Samba needs the database files you
removed and without them is totally lost.

That will clobber the old DC's entry in Active Directory, and because
you removed secrets.ldb/secrets.tdb the safety check won't stop you
doing the re-join.

It should work then.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions