[Samba] Samba 4.13 AD: How to Change Default Computer OU?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 25 22:35:39 UTC 2022

On 3/23/22 00:22, Mike Ruebner via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to change the default OU for new domain joins? I have a couple of GPOs I would like to see applied off the bat from a 'Machines' OU. Samba 4.13.13-Debian on Debian 11.2.

Not entirely sure I understand what "applied off the bat" means.
Joining the domain won't execute GPO computer settings AFAIK, you need
to reboot the machine first.  If you have to reboot the machine anyway,
just use samba-tool right after the domain join:

# samba-tool computer move COMPUTERNAME NEW_PARENT_DN [options]

This command moves a computer account into the specified organizational
unit or container.

The computername specified on the command is the sAMAccountName, with or
without the trailing dollar sign.

The name of the organizational unit or container can be specified as a
full DN or without the domainDN component.