[Samba] AD/RID backends and group mappings on member

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Mar 23 16:01:04 UTC 2022

Hai,

Im wondering, im testing a bit with backends AD and RID>

This part of the smb.conf

    ## Map id's outside the ADDOM to tdb files.
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range = 2000-9999

    ## Backend AD
    ## map ids from the domain  the range may not overlap !
#    idmap config ADDOM : backend = ad
#    idmap config ADDOM : schema_mode = rfc2307
#    idmap config ADDOM : range = 10000-3999999
#    idmap config ADDOM : unix_primary_group = yes
#    idmap config ADDOM : unix_nss_info = yes

    ## Backend RID
    ## map ids from the domain  the range may not overlap !
    idmap config ADDOM : backend = rid
    idmap config ADDOM : range = 10000-3999999
    ## Template settings for login shell and home directory
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /home/%U

Before restart and after I change the backend, i run : net cache flush

If i run my server in a RID backend setup and i check my group mappings.
net groupmap list
Guests (S-1-5-32-546) -> BUILTIN\guests
Administrators (S-1-5-32-544) -> BUILTIN\administrators
Users (S-1-5-32-545) -> 2001

And again but with the AD backend enabled.
net groupmap list
Guests (S-1-5-32-546) -> BUILTIN\guests
Administrators (S-1-5-32-544) -> 2000
Users (S-1-5-32-545) -> BUILTIN\users

Can someone explain why i see 2 different things here,
shouldn't these BUILTIN not be the same.

What am i missing here.

Greetz,

Louis