[Samba] ZFS and vfs_shadow_copy2

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Mar 23 15:17:58 UTC 2022

On 3/23/22 13:52, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:

> At least now I know it's a client side problem.

After further investigation, maybe not.

I'm still looking into this, but it seems to be a problem with time
conversion.

I have:
> root at fs:~ # date -u
> Wed Mar 23 14:46:22 UTC 2022
> root at fs:~ # date
> Wed Mar 23 15:46:23 CET 2022

(kernel clock set to UTC time).

> # zfs list -t snap
> zroot/ezjail/fs/shares at auto_zroot-20210920080000       95.9K      -   117K  -

080000 is my local time (not UTC).

So, as per VFS_SHADOW_COPY2(8), I put "shadow:localtime=yes" in smb.conf.

For the above, the packet trace shows the following in the list:
Snapshot: @GMT-2021.09.20-06.00.00

Seems right, as locat time was converted to UTC.

However, after receiving such a list, the client tries to probe some of
the snapshots, e.g.:
> Create Request File: @Sep 20, 2021 06:00:00.000000000

and the server obviously answers:
> NT Status: STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL (0xc0000001)

Possibly this is the reason a wider range (long time ago, this year,
last month, etc...) is excluded.

I have yet to test this in the wild, but putting "shadow:localtime=no"
allowed me to see the full list.
Of course all the snapshots are labeled as one hour later (the last
being in the future).

Any hint?
Is this a bug or feature?

  bye & Thanks