[Samba] authentication issue moving from Samba 4.11.x to 4.13.14

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:17:16 UTC 2022

LDAP is used for user and group lookups at the Unix/Linux level.   This
includes nfs and ssh.  The authentication itself is typically
kerberos.   Presumably if nsswitch.conf pointed to winbind but not ldap
it everything would continue to work.

The sanitized smb.conf file

        [global]

        # 3/20/22

        #For samba 4.13

        winbind nss info = rfc2307

        min domain uid = 100

        template shell = /bin/bash

        template homedir = /home/%U

        #

        smb ports = 445

        disable netbios = yes

        syslog = 3

        #FOLLOWING CONFIGURES THIS A MEMBER SERVER

        security = ads

        realm=MYDOMAIN.COM

        workgroup = MYDOMAIN

        domain master = no

        domain logons = no

        kerberos method = system keytab

        include system krb5 conf = no

        #END MEM SERVER CONFIG

        name resolve order = host wins bcast

        # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

        server string = SERVER1

        preferred master = no

        # 3/20/22 server min protocol = SMB2

        server min protocol = SMB3

        server max protocol = SMB3

        log level = 3

        private dir = /etc/samba/private

        lock directory = /var/samba/locks

        pid directory = /var/samba/locks

        usershare path = /var/samba/locks/usershares

        lanman auth = No

        client lanman auth = No

        client plaintext auth = No

        map to guest = Bad User

        winbind use default domain = yes

        map readonly=no

        winbind enum users = Yes

        winbind enum groups = Yes

        winbind:rpc only = Yes

        idmap config *:backend = tdb

        idmap config *:range = 2000-2999

        idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad

        idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307

        idmap config MYDOMAIN:range = 100-1999

        name resolve order = host wins bcast

        load printers = yes

        local master = no

        [Share11]

        vfs objects = full_audit

        full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m|%S

        full_audit:success = connect disconnect open pread pwrite

        full_audit:failure = none

        full_audit:facility = LOCAL7

        full_audit:priority = NOTICE

        path = /Share1