[Samba] Does samba have the ability to specify a backup location for files that are replaced/overwritten?

Anchal Nigam imthenachoman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 02:38:32 UTC 2022

Yeah, I am too. But that only gets changes since the last sync/backup. If
samba has some native features for this it could be very useful --
especially as protection against ransomware.

My thought is, when a samba client writes a file through samba, the samba
server knows if the file exists or not. So, at that point, if it could
either create a backup of the file it is overwriting OR somehow use hard
links, then you would always have instant backups. This way you'd always
have instant backups.

Imagine a client machine is hit with ransomware that starts encrypting
files on the samba share. With a feature like this you'd still have backups
on the samba server that the ransomware couldn't get to.

--
Thank you!
_Nacho