[Samba] ctdb: glusterfs + rpc.rquotad + NFS

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Wed Mar 16 13:46:05 UTC 2022

Hi there,

ctdb from samba 4.15.5

I was looking into ctdb and its NFS integration, after ubuntu/debian
updated their nfs-utils (nfs server) package to 2.6.x which uses a new
configuration file (/etc/nfs.conf) instead of /etc/default/nfs-*. It
mostly works with a few changes, but I have a question about how
rpc.rquotad is supposed to be run.

In particular, does rpc.rquotad make sense on the NFS server if that
server is only exporting a glusterfs volume? It's my understanding the
quota tools don't know about glusterfs, and a gluster volume cannot be
mounted with the `usrquota,grpquota` mount options like other
filesystems. Furthermore, at least in debian/ubuntu, the quotarpc
service (which is what rpc.rquotad goes by) won't start if there are
no filesystems to be mounted with these quota options.

The situation we get into, then, is that the ctdb script will issue
"service quotarpc start", but it will exit 0 since there are no
filesystems with the quota options. Then the event script will
eventually notice that there is no rpc.rquotad in the rpcinfo output,
conclude that this service has failed, and try to start again. And it
loops like that.

If I don't define the nfs_rquotad_service variable, then the ctdb
script will try to start rpc.rquotad directly. That works, it stays
running, but it's useless in this scenario, no?