[Samba] Profile and home-dir permissions

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 00:03:18 UTC 2022

On 15 March 2022 20:22 Greg Sloop wrote:
> Yeah, I've seen that, but that's not what I'm recalling.
>
> It went something like this...
> On this directory only, Domain users have the rights to create folders.
> (And nothing else)
> Inherited permissions on the root give the creator-owner full rights.
>
> This allows the user to create their own profile directory or home directory;  and since
> they'll be the creator-owner they'll get inherited "full" permissions.
> But they can't access other user's directories because they're not the creator-owner
> of those directories.
>
> It may well be that I only used this for profile directories.
>
> But it's been a really long time since I last set this up and I can't go back and look at
> that installation to see how I did it. I thought I'd seen the example either on the list or
> the Samba Wiki - but perhaps I recall that wrong.
>
> If anyone knows what I'm talking about, and has a pointer, I'd be thrilled!
> :)

Set the share and NTFS Permissions on the Security Tab as per the WiKi: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows_User_Home_Folders then use the RSAT (Active Directory Users and Computers) tools from a Windows machine.   After the user is created set the Home folder on the Profile Tab to point to the samba share eg Connect H: to \\fileserver\sharename\username - when you do this, the user's folder is also automatically created on the samba file server with the correct permissions.  They get full control to their own folder but cannot access anyone else's.   You can also set the profile path if you want roaming profiles, and this will also be automatically created.

Hope that helps,

Roy