[Samba] Setting permissions on AD member file server

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:30:25 UTC 2022

On 3/15/22 10:01, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I did this for all Windows workstations using a domain Group Policy
and it didn't change anything.

>>> This seems to be a quasi-sideeffect of that setting  - in
>> short that setting overwrites/resets the posix permissions.
>> (Provided I understand discussions I've seen about it.)
>>>
>>> In this case the share will only be used by Windows users
>> via CIFS/Samba - so this may well "work" just fine and as a
>> happy side-effect, make the problem vanish.
>>> But I'd guess it's not really the "correct" fix.
>>>
>>> To that end, what would be the best way to reset the
>> permissions on the directories/files properly, removing all
>> the Samba ACL's etc? Once they are set as a baseline in POSIX
>> then we can tinker with Samba ACL's with the Windows
>> permissions again. (And remove acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes)
>
> I do this like this.
> setfacl --recursive --remove-all  folder
> chmod -R o-rwx folder
> chown -R root:root folder
> chmod -R 775 folder
>
> And start again, how its back to normal.

So that resets the UNIX/POSIX ACLs; how do you reset all the Windows ACLs?

>> Adding on to this, I would like to completely reset all the Windows
>> permissions, since the filesystem permissions look good, but
>> resetting
>> permissions on some folders fails from Windows.  If Windows 10 File
>> Explorer does not support long paths, then how would someone
>> use this to
>> reset permissions on deeply nested folders anyway?  I've
>> determined that
>> at after a certain path length the security tab disappears from
>> Properties completely!
> Interessing, i havent seen that.. I do have seen a bug that make security tab go away..
> But thats long ago fixed.

Create a really long path (> 256 characters) and then see if you see the
same thing; i.e. when listing Properties on a file or folder under this
path, is there a Security tab?