[Samba] samba_dlz: add another A record for domain (@ record)

Dario Lesca d.lesca at solinos.it
Sun Mar 13 12:51:03 UTC 2022

Il giorno sab, 12/03/2022 alle 14.48 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba ha
scritto:
> Is there some reason that you are not using a subdomain for your
> Samba
> AD domain ?

I didn't know I was must to use a subdomain for my Samba AD domain.
So, several years ago i set up a fancy local domain like "domain.loc".
Is this limitation written into some how to that I am lost?

So, after several years that the AD worked without problems, last week
I had to set up an new intranet web server and on AD I have add the
corresponding A record for "domain.loc" pointed to this server IP.

> Your Samba AD DC's should be masters for the AD dns domain,

My Samba AD DC is master for the AD dns domain, record NS point to it,
I want change only the record A of @, not SOA or NS or MX

> so you should be pointing your AD clients at your main dns server

My all clients are already pointed to my main dns server, the AD

> and this should forward anything to do with the AD dns domain to the
> DC's.
My DNS server is AD, then it does not need forward anything to other
server.

Question:

a) It's possible point the A record of @, like I do on a Windows DC
server, to another server different dal DC, without after few minutes
the DC change it to itself?

b) why DC has to change this record?

> There is also another potential problem, are your DC's running on
> Fedora 35 with the OS Samba packages ? If so, are you aware that the
> Fedora packages use MIT and are classed as experimental.

This is another thing and it is relevant only if my problem occurs only
in this scenario.

Do you mean that the samba Debian version "not MIT" does NOT have this
A record substitution for @ and it's possible change it?

Many thanks for reply.

Dario