[Samba] Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller Compatibility

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 22:12:10 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 16:17 -0500, ralph strebbing via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So I'm looking into some solutions with windows specific integration
> applications, and unfortunately it's looking like the one application
> we're using (asked in a previous thread), utilized the windows
> security audit logs.
> So I'm back with some what-ifs and hoping someone has either tried
> it,
> or any of the veterans of this software know how well we can use it.
> need to know if I can join a Windows Server 2019 VM to our existing
> Samba Active Directory setup as a domain controller. I need this VM
> for nothing but to receive the logs that the other servers may be
> getting from things like authentication, etc. So (if I understand
> what
> this is in the first place), a Read Only Domain Controller?
>
> Looking forward to hearing some thoughts on this.

That should work, provided you are willing to use the current Windows
2008R2 functional level.  Bugs in windows previously caused issues and
were the reason we did a lot of work to implement 'adprep' (so we would
be prepared for FL 2012R2 even if not operating it it), but it should
work.

We have great audit logs, we just don't provide them in the format
windows does because those protocols are a pile of work (binary XML and
XML queries for filtering, on top of DCE/RPC).

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions