[Samba] Fruit encoding issue in 4.15.5

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Thu Mar 10 15:14:34 UTC 2022

I did some more digging and looks like the problem is the interaction between "fruit:encoding = native” and "fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes”.

If encoding is ‘native' and delete_empty_adfiles if ‘yes’, the '._Icon'$'\r’ file is deleted from the folder. After setting encoding to ‘private’ the '._Icon’ file is retained.

The documentation says:

“fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes | no
Whether to delete empty AppleDouble files. Empty means that the resource fork entry in the AppleDouble files is of size 0, or the size is exactly 286 bytes and the content matches a special boilerplate resource fork created my macOS.”

The icon file will vary in size so setting ‘native’ seems to erroneously remove it. I tested with 4.13.7 and 4.15.5.

-Perttu