[Samba] NetworkManager,?==?utf-8?q? DNS, and resolv.conf

Jürgen Echter j.echter at echter-kuechen-elektro.de
Tue Mar 8 07:02:25 UTC 2022

Am Samstag, März 05, 2022 15:42 CET, schrieb Patrick Goetz via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:

I think the following pertains to all desktop clients configured with
NetworkManager, but this particular machine is configures with Ubuntu
20.04 Mate edition.

I've been following the Samba Wiki instructions for setting up a domain
member, in particular the /etc/resolv.conf configuration:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Configuring_the_.2Fetc.2Fresolv.conf

So, on a machine called erap-ubuntu I had configured /etc/resolv.conf
like this:

search ea.linuxcs.com
nameserver 192.168.1.80

This morning I was testing something and noticed that /etc/resolv.conf
had been rewritten by NetworkManager:

search linuxcs.com
nameserver 127.0.0.53

I don't typically use NetworkManager, so this was residual from the
initial install. Doing a little testing, when you edit /etc/resolv.conf
by hand, NetworkManager doesn't know about this and instead defers to a
NetworkManager-specific configuration file:

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1.nmconnection

My bind nameserver, 192.168.1.1 was set in this file, but NetworkManager
still defers to the systemd-resolved nameserver stub, 127.0.0.53.

Any time NetworkManager is restarted, /etc/resolv.conf is reset to use
127.0.0.53 even if I explicitly set the samba-dc nameserver in the
NetworkManager configuration for that interface. The search domain is
preserved.

Given the prevalence of NetworkManager, this is one of those "if you
can't beat them, join them" situations, so I experimented with just
leaving /etc/resolv.conf set to:

search ea.linuxcs.com
nameserver 127.0.0.53

and everything seems to work fine:

root at erap-ubuntu:~# wbinfo -i mduffy
mduffy:*:11108:10513::/home/mduffy:/bin/bash

root at erap-ubuntu:~# samba-tool dns query samba-dc
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 85 PTR -U Administrator
Password for [EA\Administrator]:
Name=, Records=1, Children=0
PTR: erap-ubuntu.ea.linuxcs.com (flags=f0, serial=5, ttl=900)

root at erap-ubuntu:~# host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.ea.linuxcs.com
_ ldap._tcp.ea.linuxcs.com has SRV record 0 100 389
samba-dc.ea.linuxcs.com.

So unless there's something I'm overlooking, I'm going to update the
Wiki so that the vast majority of linux users (i.e. all those folks
using NetworkManager) aren't confused by this.