[Samba] Samba forces domain members to use winbind now

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 3 20:09:41 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-03-03 at 19:57 +0000, Vaughan, Robert J via samba wrote:
> Our Solaris Samba version last working without winbind is 4.13.8

No it wasn't, the last it worked for you was 4.13.8

> The broken version is 4.13.14
>
> Our UNIX LDAP (Oracle OUD) has the UNIX uid and gid info (also shell,
> homedir and a few other things like employee number) and supports
> shell login for some users as well as the uid/gid mapping for all our
> SAMBA users
>
> Our AD does not contain the required UNIX info

It would be easier if it did, all the rfc2307 attributes are available.

> smb.conf ..
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = XXX
>         realm = XXX.YYYY.COM
>         server string = xxxxxxx
>         netbios name = xxxxxxx
>         security = ADS
>        log level = 1
>        log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
>         max log size = 5000
>         preferred master = No
>         local master = No
>         domain master = No
>         read only = No
>         hosts allow = XXX.XXX., XX., XXX.
>         short preserve case = No
>         dos filetime resolution = Yes
>         server signing = mandatory
>         acl allow execute always = True
>         load printers = No
>         printcap name = /dev/null
>         printing = bsd
>         include system krb5 conf = no
>         smb2 leases = No

One problem you have is that you do not have any 'idmap config' lines,
presumably because you have been using sssd.

What do you use the ldap for ? Just authentication, or is there data
stored in it ?

If it is just authentication, are you up to changing the ID numbers ?

Rowland