[Samba] Samba forces domain members to use winbind now

Vaughan, Robert J vaughar2 at gdls.com
Thu Mar 3 19:57:04 UTC 2022

Our Solaris Samba version last working without winbind is 4.13.8

The broken version is 4.13.14

Our UNIX LDAP (Oracle OUD) has the UNIX uid and gid info (also shell, homedir and a few other things like employee number) and supports shell login for some users as well as the uid/gid mapping for all our SAMBA users

Our AD does not contain the required UNIX info

smb.conf ..

[global]
        workgroup = XXX
        realm = XXX.YYYY.COM
        server string = xxxxxxx
        netbios name = xxxxxxx
        security = ADS
       log level = 1
       log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
        max log size = 5000
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        read only = No
        hosts allow = XXX.XXX., XX., XXX.
        short preserve case = No
        dos filetime resolution = Yes
        server signing = mandatory
        acl allow execute always = True
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null
        printing = bsd
        include system krb5 conf = no
        smb2 leases = No

[tmp]
        comment = UG NX / TCE mappings (X-drive)
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0754
        inherit permissions = Yes
        browseable = No
        valid users = xxxxxxx

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.