[Samba] Louis package upgrade

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Thu Mar 3 09:18:48 UTC 2022

Sorry the for long absence..
I got hit by corona, slowy recovering here..

Like you would do with any other debian/ubuntu package.
With one difference, only if you up the samba version or upgrade the distro,

Then you need to manual change that in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list

> > For example, I'm on a 4.15.x branch. I assume you'd just apt-get
> > update / apt-get upgrade, right?
Exactly.

> > (Will this occur "automagically" for security updates, as Ubuntu
> > would normally do, or do I need to manually update?)
Yes and no,

-No, by default debian only upgrades debian packages.

- yes, you can get the security upgrades also.
You need to configure /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
(see : https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades )

I use for example.
	 // Codename based matching:
        "origin=AptVanBelle,codename=${distro_codename}-samba*";
As long you stay withing the same distroline (like buster),
Samba keeps upgrading as long you manualy up the samba version number.

> > What about moving between branches, say from 4.15 to a new fictional
> > 4.16? [I assume you need to add the new repo, and manually install
> > the new version, and remove the old repo? Explicit details would be
> > really good, before I find I really need to know - when I'm
> > in a dire situation. :) ]
>
> I cannot speak for Louis, but I just run 'apt update' followed by 'apt
> upgrade'. When a new branch is released, I just do as you suggest,
> comment out the old repo line in
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list
> and create a new one with the next repo e.g.
>
> # AptVanBelle repo for samba.
> #deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian buster-samba414 main contrib non-
> free
> deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian buster-samba415 main contrib non-