[Samba] Internal DNS entries not created on Domain join of Windows computer, but with Linux it works!?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 2 17:28:53 UTC 2022

The automatically adding things to DNS thing seems to be very brittle.
I still haven't figured out why it works for Ubuntu 20.04 systems, but
not Arch linux.

Just create the DNS entry by hand using samba-tool:

   # samba-tool dns add samba-dc SAMDOM.LOCAL.COM Win-PC A
xxx.xxx.xxx.XXX -U administrator

also don't forget to create the PTR record:

   # samba-tool dns add samba-dc xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa XXX PTR
Win-PC.SAMDOM.LOCAL.COM -U Administrator