[Samba] 4.15 windows ACL share. Not taking?

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:48:39 UTC 2022

On 02 March 2022 13:33 Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-03-02 at 09:39 +0000, Manu Baylac via samba wrote:
> > Le 28/02/2022   20:26, Rowland Penny via samba a  crit :
[snip]
> OK, your OS has to know your users and they have to have permission to
> access/read/write on a share.
>
> Normally when you create a share directory it will get permissions
> like: drwxr-xr-x 2 root root
>
> From this, you can see that only 'root' can write to the share
> directory.
> If you go to windows and set permissions on the share directory, you
> should be able to, but if you have set 'acl_xattr:ignore system acls =
> Yes', your users will still not be able to write to the share (and as
> it has been pointed out, this will be shown by not having a '+' sign at
> the end of the permissions), without that line, Samba will alter the
> Unix acls and set NT ACLS and your users will get the permissions you
> want them to have.
>
> Rowland

I am now even more confused than before!   The WiKi page for setting up the share using Windows ACLs specifically suggests that the 'acl_xattr:ignore system acls = Yes' be added to smb.conf.   And even with that line in smb.conf for the share,  I do get the + at the end of permissions.  All is working fine with my system.   So if the + is missing when this line is in smb.conf does this suggest that the Windows ACLs are not being saved?

Roy