[Samba] Updated samba 4.16.2 RPM build tools at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 22 10:09:35 UTC 2022

On Sun, 2022-06-19 at 04:00 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba wrote:
> Morning:
>

> I've updated my RPM building tools to samba 4.16.2, with some basic
>
> smoke testing on RHEL 8, 9, and Fedora 36. RHEL and Fedora are
>
> publishing more recent libraries for the dependencies, such as
> libldb.
>
> But Red Hat doesn't publish the needed python3-libldb-devel package,
>
> in either RHEL or CentOS, so I''m compelled to include it and set the
>
> release number somewhat higher to ensure its available for Samba
>
> builds.

Regardless Samba should always be built with the included ldb.

Recently Debian even patched to stop consuming a 'system' or 'external'
ldb, they just build the internal one and provide the output as an
additional package.

As a Samba build strictly requires exactly the same version as the one
in the samba tarball, it makes no sense to pretend ldb is provided from
elsewhere.

I may finally revive my MR to do this upstream, I think folks finally
realise that the 'independent ldb' idea is just a pile of pain for
packagers, without enough useful benefits.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions