[Samba] encryption algorithm used by samba ad

Anderson Sampaio Mello anderson.sampaio.mello at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 21:43:30 UTC 2022

First of all thanks for the time and information that Rowland and Andrew
have given.

Sorry Rowland Penny,

But if I understand correctly, does active directory generate a hash for
the user's password encoded in base64 and store it in the unicodepwd
attribute?

Generating something like: RBzocx0swDcQmFFgSrbbVg==

I ask this because Andrew Bartlett replied that passwords can be stored in
AES kerberos hash( AES128_HMAC_SHA1, AES256_HMAC_SHA1) based on SHA1.

That's why I got confused.