[Samba] Kerberized-nfs4 home-dir stopped working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 10:32:24 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-06-21 at 22:01 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:

> On Tue, 2022-06-21 at 11:56 +0200, Kees van Vloten wrote:
> >     Hi Andrew,
> >
> >     I did set "ms-DS-MachineAccountQuota: 0" and indeed only admins
> >       create users. Is that a sufficient mitigation for the Dollar
> >       Ticket attack?
> Yes.  Thankfully no support for ms-DS-MachineAccountQuota in samba,
> and
> if I have anything to do with it, it will be de-fanged entirely if it
> ever comes along.

Apparently, you are not allowed to make statements like that :-D

> >     The other thing is I have smb-filesharing for Windows clients
> > and
> >       nfs-filesharing for Linux clients, currently on separate sub-
> > trees
> >       to avoid issues. I would like to consolidate those to one
> >       technology, smb-filesharing.
> >
> >       But I do have some questions:
> >

> >       Do I need the unix-extensions for Linux clients (I have
> >         disabled < smb3, i.e. cannot use unix-extensions at the
> >         moment)?
> >       Are there any thoughts about sharing a home-dir between
> >         Windows and Linux, currently nfs-home is at /home/<user>
> >         and smb (windows) home-dir is somewhere else?
> >       Is pam_mount the way to go to mount the smb-homedir at login?
> >         I could not find much on the Wiki.
> >

> I'll let others answer on these.
>
> There is work ongoing to add back a safe set of unix extensions, but
> you can't use them right now.  In the meantime the clients muddle
> along
> as best they can using 'normal' SMB2/3 features.  It might work
> enough
> for you.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I have 'played' with mounting a users home directory on a directory and
then used rsync to sync the users homedir with the mount (I couldn't
get mounting the share over '/home/$USERNAME' to work). This is, in a
way, better than the Windows way, you do not drag MB's of data across
the network.

Rowland