[Samba] Multichannel and RSS Not Detected

Chris Dos chris at chrisdos.com
Sun Jun 19 22:40:12 UTC 2022

Ten months later and it is time to work on this again.  We used local storage
to do the job we had to get done last year.  We have other projects coming up
it will be nice to get this working.

I am at the point again where googling is not providing any answers.
Essentially I have a server that RSS Multichannel does not seem to work on,
but another one with the same NIC and a bit older hardware that works fine.
I'm probably going to have to take a packet capture to provide help debugging
this problem so what would the ports need to be or should I just dump
everything on the interface?  Is there any debug logging that can be enabled
for Multichannel?

We are running version 4.15.7 using apt.van-belle.nl Debian packages even
though we are running Devuan (Debian Bullseye minus SystemD)

Here is part of my smb.conf file:
[global]
    netbios name = SB1
    interfaces = "172.28.202.10;capability=RSS,speed=1000000000"
"172.28.90.10;capability=RSS,speed=10000000000"
"172.28.133.10;capability=RSS,speed=100000000000"
    server multi channel support = yes
    workgroup = GIANT
    wins server = 172.28.202.5
    os level = 20
    log level = 3
    client min protocol = SMB3
    os level = 8
    local master = No
    domain master = No
    ntlm auth = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    server role = standalone server
    obey pam restrictions = No
    unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully*
    invalid users = root
    usershare path =
    usershare allow guests = yes
    guest account = nas
    aio read size = 1
    aio write size = 1
    vfs objects = catia
    mangled names = no
    catia:mappings =
0x22:0xa8,0x2a:0xa4,0x2f:0xf8,0x3a:0xf7,0x3c:0xab,0x3e:0xbb,0x3f:0xbf,0x5c:0xff,0x7c:0xa6
    posix locking = no
    security = user
    map to guest = bad user
    store dos attributes = yes
    dos filetimes = yes

[production]
    path = /netshares/production
    force user = nas
    force group = nas
    create mask = 770
    force create mode = 770
    directory mask = 2770
    force directory mode = 2770
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    hosts allow = 172.28.133. 172.28.90. 172.28.202.5

Any help would be appreciated.  I reached out to SerNet to see if Stefan
Metzmacher (who was the main author of the Multichannel code) was available
and received a support quote for them to help, but out management did not want
to spend the money at the time.  So I'm back to using the mailing list.

I have found others that have not gotten Multichannel working for some reason
or another and they just gave up.  I do have Multichannel working on three
other servers running Devuan with a bit different hardware.  So why it is not
working on the main server I need it working on I have no idea.

    Chris