[Samba] Questions about samba upgrade

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 19 22:56:30 UTC 2022

Hi,

I would

- move FSMO roles to a DC that will not be updated
- configure DHCP/clients to not use the about-to-be-updated DC as a DNS
server
- update the server you intend to update, either update in-place or by
demote-update-join
- keep FSMO roles and DHCP/DNS config as they are until you're sure
everything works with the updated DC (for days or weeks)
- enable updated DC again for DNS
- (optionally) transfer FSMO roles to the updated DC (having the newest
release)

Above has worked for me for the last few years.