[Samba] Updated samba 4.16.2 RPM build tools at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 08:00:56 UTC 2022

Morning:

I've updated my RPM building tools to samba 4.16.2, with some basic
smoke testing on RHEL 8, 9, and Fedora 36. RHEL and Fedora are
publishing more recent libraries for the dependencies, such as libldb.
But Red Hat doesn't publish the needed python3-libldb-devel package,
in either RHEL or CentOS, so I''m compelled to include it and set the
release number somewhat higher to ensure its available for Samba
builds.

It's peculiar, because the python3-ldb-devel package is in the
published .spec file for libldb. Something has to be specifically
deleting or excluding it from publication in the RHEL software
channels. I've seen this before  for "lmdb-devel", which was only
available in the "Devel" channel, for software required to build
Samba. It seems kind of personal when they play these peek-a-boo games
with software built all at the same time, used internally for building
other software, but not included in their public repositories.

At some point, this starts looking like malice, possibly to interfere
with people like me who compile Samba with full domain controller
features enabled. Hindering competition with freeipa and the
complexities of sssd would be really petty, but this has happened
several times now, and it's gotten suspicious.

Nico Kadel-Garcia