[Samba] Why windows client is four times slower than linux client ?

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Jun 15 19:19:35 UTC 2022

On 6/15/22 3:11 PM, jie wang via samba wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I deploy a samba server, and copy the hadoop source code to the mount
> point. When I use windows client, it cost 8 minutes, and there are about 1
> million packets. But when I use linux client, it cost 2 minutes, and there
> are only 0.2 million packets. So it seems windows client is four times
> slower than linux client. Windows and linux clients both use samba 3.1.1,
> and samba server use master code. Can anyone help explain the reason ?
> Thanks a lot.

Are you copying the files to the local storage of the client? If true
maybe you should test only reading the files and not storing them
locally after clearing any kine of cache. Windows filesystem layers are
know to be slow when working with many small files, and source code tree
tend to be like that.