[Samba] WSDD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 12 09:52:11 UTC 2022

On Sun, 2022-06-12 at 00:09 -0400, Robert Yu Tin-Tat via samba wrote:
> I installed avahi-browse as per instructions listed here:
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=112833
>
> Still, there was no change on front of the Windows 7 machine, but I
> can
> access the Windows 10 machine that mother is using.
>
> I can only access my Windows 7 box using its IP address.

Your subject matter is 'WSDD', yet you talk about Avahi (and you are
following a 10 year old howto), which do you need help with ?

Avahi is the Linux implementation of Apples Bonjour and I now believe
you can get it for Windows, though not sure about Windows 7.
'wsdd' is the Linux implementation of Windows Network discovery (which
has replaced Network Browsing), I do not think there is an
implementation for Apple.

If you only have Linux and Apple clients, then you need Avahi. If you
also have Windows clients, then you you really need both.

Rowland