[Samba] Why is smbd listening on port 139? (using Louis' repo 4.15.7)

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Sat Jun 11 10:50:45 UTC 2022

On 11.06.2022 11:47, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-06-11 at 10:47 +0200, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have got a samba member server Debian Bullseye 11.3 with Louis'
>> repo
>> 4.15.7.
>>
>> I just wanted to ask why smbd is listening on port 139/tcp?
> Because it does, unless you set 'smb ports = 445' and turn off port
> 139.
>
>> nmbd is disabled and does not run, marked as dead when running
>> systemctl
>> status nmbd.
>> I have set "min server protocol = SMB2_10" and "min client protocol
>> =
>> SMB2_10" in smb.conf.
> You might as well remove them, Samba now defaults to SMB2_02
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

thanks for the clarification. I'm definitely going to set "smb ports =
445". If the NT1 protocol is deprecated and not enabled by default,
wouldn't it be a good idea to have port 139 disabled by default also? It
would save one line in smb.conf ;-). And reduce the attack surface for
malign code.

Best regards,

Peter