[Samba] Raising Domain and Forrest level in mixed environment (Samba & Win 2k19)

Alexander Harm || ApfelQ alexander.harm at apfelq.com
Fri Jun 10 01:06:18 UTC 2022

I’m trying to raise the domain and forrest functional level to 2012R2 because of Exchange. However, raising the level on the main Windows DC fails because it complains about the Samba DCs NOT “running the appropriate version of windows”.

I then tried to from a Samba DC. I transfered the FSMO role schema to the Samba DC and ran "samba-tool domain schemaupgrade” which reported successfully as 88 (in the Wiki it still mentions 69 to be max). I checked on other DCs including the Windows one and it propagated.

Afterwards I tried to run:
samba-tool domain level raise --domain-level=2012_R2
ERROR: Domain function level can't be higher than the lowest function level of a DC!

The Windows server runs 2k19, the Samba DCs all run Louis’ Samba version 4.15.7-Debian.

How can I achieve my goal?

Greetings, Alexander