[Samba] Samba keeps crashing when in AD mode due to mitkdc exiting.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Thu Jun 9 15:40:41 UTC 2022

On 6/9/22 6:48 AM, Matthew Schumacher via samba wrote:
> On 6/8/22 11:19 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>> It sounds like you are running Samba as an AD DC using the dns domain
>> 'domain.net' and it also sounds like you are running a MIT kdc using
>> the same dns domain.
>>
>> If this is the case, choose one (preferably the MIT kdc) and turn it
>> off.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Thanks for the reply Rowland.
>
> I'm not using the MIT kdc (or at least it's not configured), I noticed
> that if I put a krb5.conf in the samba/private directory it will join
> the domain, but that is moot since it doesn't appear to use the
> external DNS server, which is the same result as if I omitted
> "--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ".   Basically I can't get samba to join a
> domain using the bind9 dns server without getting:
>
> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - LDAP error 80 LDAP_OTHER -
> <00000523:
> SysErr: DSID-031A1255, problem 22 (Invalid argument), data 0
>
> The DNS server is build against the systems MIT kerberos
> implementation, so I'm assuming this is the issue, can you confirm? If
> that's the case, what are my options?
>
> What do most people do?  Just use the internal DNS server too?
>
> Thanks again
> Matt

I think I figured it out, I think my non-sanitized name was too long and
was causing problems, that or a misconfiguration of my /etc/hosts.

Either way, it's working now, and I appreciate your help.

As a side note, I was reading much older posts from you about dns stuff
and found you referring to systemd among other things. Between that and
bottom posting I feel encouraged that not everybody just goes with the
flow.  My samba implementation runs on Slackware, so no systemd for me
either.

Matt