[Samba] Password Expiration setting and manually adjusting the date

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Wed Jun 8 19:10:09 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 4:36 AM L. van Belle via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> I suggest, increase the debug level, see that happening when users change a
> password.
> And tell us which samba version and OS your using, add the content of
> smb.conf
>
> That's pretty important.

I was asking if it is expected behaviour. I suppose I could interpret you
asking for this information as confirmation that it is not expected...

> This one might help out.
> sudo samba-tool domain passwordsettings

 plecavalier# samba-tool domain passwordsettings show
Password information for domain 'DC=intranet,DC=domain,DC=ca'
Password complexity: on
Store plaintext passwords: off
Password history length: 24
Minimum password length: 6
Minimum password age (days): 0
Maximum password age (days): 0
Account lockout duration (mins): 30
Account lockout threshold (attempts): 0
Reset account lockout after (mins): 15

plecavalier# uname -ar
Linux piwc11 5.10.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.106-1 (2022-03-17) x86_64
GNU/Linux

plecavalier# dpkg -l | grep samba
ii  python3-samba                  2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Python 3 bindings for Samba
ii  samba                          2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
ii  samba-common                   2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       all
   common files used by both the Samba server and client
ii  samba-common-bin               2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba common files used by both the server and the client
ii  samba-dsdb-modules:amd64       2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba Directory Services Database
ii  samba-libs:amd64               2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba core libraries
ii  samba-vfs-modules:amd64        2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
plecavalier# dpkg -l | grep winbind
ii  libnss-winbind:amd64           2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba nameservice integration plugins
ii  libpam-winbind:amd64           2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Windows domain authentication integration plugin
ii  libwbclient0:amd64             2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   Samba winbind client library
ii  winbind                        2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u3       amd64
   service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers

plecavalier# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = INTRANET
realm = INTRANET.DOMAIN.CA
netbios name = DC11
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
bind interfaces only = yes

[netlogon]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/intranet.domain.ca/scripts
read only = No

[sysvol]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
read only = No