[Samba] Issues configuring Samba

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Mon Jun 6 10:51:21 UTC 2022

Hello!

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to track down an issue with my Samba
configuration and in the process I have created another issue!

To try and resolve the original issue I upgraded Samba on my Debian 11.3
server from version 4.13.13 to 4.16.1 using the package available in
bullseye-backports.  Having done that, the home directories are not
visible when browsing the server from either Finder on macOS or Windows
Explorer.  The configuration for [homes] is:

[homes]
         comment = Users Home Directory
         browseable = no
         valid users = %S
         read only = no
         acl allow execute always = true

If I add the user name to the global “preload” option then the home
directory is visible.  If I change the value of “browseable” option
under [homes] then I get my home directory shared as “homes”.   The
smb.conf file, on this server, is one that has evolved from when the
back in Debian 8 or 9 days).  Is there some configuration option that
has changed or needs setting to make home directories visible as they
were before?

The actual issue I am trying to resolve is slightly bizarre.  When I run
Eclipse based IDEs under macOS (latest Monteray) to access a workspace
on a Samba share the IDE will completely lock up either when saving a
file or when it writes the workspace, etc. on exit.  It won’t
necessarily do it every file save, sometimes it will work OK for a few
saves before it locks up.  The same IDEs are fine working with
workspaces on the local hard drive.

Using the Force Quit option in macOS will close the IDE but doesn’t seem
to clean everything up properly as the only way to re-open the IDE and
the workspace on the share is to do a full reboot of macOS.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

-Andy.